On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Getting back on track

I slept today, but no more than usual. I dozed, I read, I dozed, I snacked, I dozed, I walked.... Yesterday and today I walked a mile.  Now that I have a walker I don't fear falling and I appreciate being outdoors for at least a short while. Our neighborhood has lots of walkers so we often bump into friends and neighbors who are also out with their dogs. Sometimes we stop and chat. I once read a research study showing that people with dogs have more social interactions than those who don't - makes total sense to me.

I began the double patch routine today.  It's too soon to tell the difference - it takes a day or two to absorb through the skin - but overall the pain was considerably less than a few days ago. Yesterday I took five doses of liquid morphine, today I only needed one.

The part of my life that is totally out of sync is a sense of routine.  I read, but not enough, I keep making plans to knit and sew, but haven't gotten started yet. I want to catch up with some letter writing, but haven't. It's time to set in some fresh garden plants, but I haven't, ditto with painting and drawing, etc., etc. Things that would be fun for me aren't happening and I don't have any kind of structure or schedule to make things happen. Not being able to drive is really putting on crimp on things, although I have several folks who have volunteered.  I need a schedule, sort of like a high school grid where it's all written out and that would make me feel so much more productive.

1 comment:

  1. You are right that a schedule might help. I could use one myself! I laughed when you said your neighborhood was full of walkers. I pictured your new walker multiplied by many and then realized you simply meant people who walk, not necessarily with walkers.

    Let's hope the new patch will do the trick when it kicks in fully.

    Walking a mile is really good. I bet my big dog would enjoy that but she'll have to wait a few days since we were just back in Kingman where she had the run of 40 acres.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails