On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring, spring, spring

Life is a bit discombobulated around here.  I had chemotherapy yesterday and my numbers were good, although there was a rise in my CA15-3.  The nurse was sure it was because I was off chemo for several months and a new baseline was being set.  What counts is a trend of three, not just one reading.

In the meantime, I'm trying to remember how to knit the simplest projects.  My plan is to repeat, repeat, repeat until I recall the basics.  So, I may have 50 pairs of slippers while I re-learn, if that's what it takes.

Pain is under control now.  I have Fentanyl patches to take every third day with liquid morphine for break-through issues.  So, I have less than five minutes of pain in a day and I'm grateful for that.  This could go on for years, but if I'm comfortable it's okay with me.  One square of medical chocolate solves everything.

The cancer support group met today.  It seemed that most of us were doing well this time and full of questions more than concerns.

I'm more worried about Steve, who worries about everything.  There have been three unexpected deaths in the last week - men having heart attacks - and it's unnerving to watch the suddenness of widowhood. Besides loving Steve, I just frankly need him and I worry about his health, good as it is.

Rain is due in soon, I think, and that will scrub things down on the deck.  The finches have been thrilled with the seeds I loaded their platters with and they're getting fat and sonorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails