On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Good for my word

I slept so much today!  But I did manage to get two things right.


Off and on, for months, I've been mentioning the need to get on a spiritual path that suits me in an honest way.  This morning I began that journey and attended Trinity Church, Sonoma, for the first time in months.  I wanted to reclaim a community that has been mine since 1995, but, for many reasons, my participation has lapsed in the past couple years.  

This morning I knew more of the parishioners than not and it felt like a return home.  Because I had been in the hospital for so long I was publicly acknowledged and applauded. During that time I received many cards, telephone calls and visits from various members - which meant so much to me.  Attending church this morning was Step One.

Secondly, I began my daily walking program which the doctor insisted is a necessity.  I have several pre-measured areas that are suitable for beginning.  The one I chose for today was nearby and only 2/3 mile, longer than I was walking in the hospital, but not too strenuous.  Steve and I leashed up Brix and Demi and walked them around a short block - twice.  The second loop seemed much more difficult than the first one.  Afterwards I was more than ready for another nap, but glad that I had made the effort.

Remember, I've decided that I want to live and that I am ready to do my part to make survival more likely.  So you won't be surprised if you hear little reports about church attendance and exercise, two critical parts of my future - if I am to have one.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that you are home and making steps to become healthier. I love that you are taking charge of your life and living it how you want instead of being defined by the cancer! You go girl! I think church is a very good step - I am so much happier and at peace when I feel connected closely to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two thirds of a mile after being in the hospital so long is great! Glad you have named some steps forward and so glad you are back home at last. Way to go! Telling how and what you are doing to move forward is a good thing. We love to hear you are "doing" old whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails