On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Slow growth

It seems as though I've been sick for at least a month now, but gradually, very very gradually, life is getting better.  I still take pain pills but can usually manage on only two a day and the pain isn't as fierce.  I've missed two consecutive weeks at Juvenile Hall and am hoping - but not promising yet - to resurface tomorrow afternoon.  I would really like to be back with the kids, but when the pain level has me doubled over I really have no choice.

Steve was in Fort Bragg this weekend, his last trek there until February.  It's almost four hours north of here so is a major getaway for him.  I can never go - dogs, chickens, Youngest Daughter, etc., - it would take major planning and I'd have to feel well enough to drive those twisty roads that everyone complains about.

A couple months ago, when Steve was there, he brought home a redwood burl for me to grow.  I've tried a few other times - usually they last several months and then call it a day.  Occasionally people get lucky and are able to maintain one for years, but I haven't managed that yet.  I don't know if it's luck or skill, but so far I've had neither.  This one shows my latest attempt.  There are two shoots and a couple buds.  Every chance I can I bring the outdoors inside, it's so soothing.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of growing something this way. I hope it keeps going for you. Hope you make it to juvie tomorrow also. I think it's good for you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails