On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Hopeful thoughts

Wintertime has just about arrived here in the valley.  Nighttime temperatures are in the low 30s, but nothing has frozen so far.  Steve cranked up the heat for me - I'm always cold (my primary care physician cranked up my thyroid medication as well).  I was in too much pain to go to Juvenile Hall this afternoon so took a pain pill and slept all afternoon.  I will be so very glad when this particular stage is over and done with, it feels interminable.

Oldest Son and Daughter-in-Law have made their plans to be here for Thanksgiving, which gives me something wonderful to look forward to.  Our Thanksgiving celebrations are totally traditional - turkey and dressing, pumpkin pie, etc.  I wouldn't change the menu for the world.

Tomorrow is the second chemotherapy cycle.  I think there will be six or seven altogether, but those numbers are flexible depending on the scans.  I'm having no problems whatsoever from the chemotherapy but I'm still recovering from the radiation which is causing major abdominal pain.  It doesn't seem right to meet with the kids when I'm taking narcotics every few hours and so many of them are on their way to becoming addicts.  I mean, it isn't like I would tell them about my medication, it just doesn't feel quite right to me and, as they become more sensitive to signs of use, I'd be afraid they would notice something that even I am unaware of.  I'm still hoping that all of this will be resolved by Thanksgiving so that I can begin to move on again. Sigh, but it's been a very long year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails