On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Precarious living

Steve took Youngest Grandson and Youngest Daughter to San Francisco yesterday to help them out with their holiday shopping, his holiday tradition of at least 30 years.  They had reservations at a restaurant at the St. Francis Hilton, also part of the tradition.  Apparently all went well - the shopping was accomplished and lunch was enjoyed.  They took in all the decorations on Union Square and Market Street, including the shelter kittens and puppies hoping for new homes.

I waved them off, happy for a day to myself.  And then things fell apart.  As the day progressed I felt worse and worser and finally just went to bed.

The Honolulu crew was out touring Napa County and due back for dinner.  I ordered "Dinner for Six" even though there were only five of us and I wasn't eating, from one of our local Chinese restaurants and had Steve pick it up on the way home.  He had dropped off Youngest Grandson in the East Bay earlier.  (Big driving day for Steve.)

I languished on the sofa, enjoying the conversation, but feeling sicker by the moment.  By the time Son and DIL left I was in anguish and so, so, so very sorry to make that our goodbye.  I don't expect to see them until late February when we fly to Honolulu.

It was a horrible night.  I was upchucking, Steve was mopping.  I couldn't get the pain under control.

Son and DIL stopped by mid-morning - I really didn't expect to see them again - just for a quick goodbye.  They brought me fresh fruit, probably flown in from Hawaii!  I was feeling so much better and was thrilled beyond words to have a second chance at the goodbye scene.

Now they're at the airport waiting for their flight.  With Son is no longer in school (taking the bar exam in February) we have a lot more contact - both in person and phone and texting - which really helps.  I am one of the fortunate ones in that I adore my daughter-in-law and always have.  They met when they were 15, 16 and are now in their mid-40s!

Tomorrow it's all back to the usual, if not normal.  I have a blood draw in preparation for Tuesday's chemotherapy.  I was hoping to get to Juvenile Hall, but I haven't gotten past a single cup of broth from last night's dinner (delicious!) so it's not going to happen.  I am truly beginning to feel like an invalid, I really am.  Bummer!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! This too shall pass and you will feel healthy again - just got to get through this round!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails