On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, September 09, 2012

The return trip

I can always enjoy a palm tree - even if it was planted to hide a parking lot view from a hotel room!

I very much enjoyed the two-day conference, "Cancer as a Turning Point," offered by Healing Journeys in Sacramento this weekend.  I attended twice before, but several years back, so it was interesting to me to note the changes.

The last time I was there, there was so much emphasis on nutrition, organics and eating lots of fruit and veggies and grass-fed beef perhaps.  While all of that was mentioned frequently this year, most of the speakers focused on exercise, an even more restricted diet (avoiding most meat, wheat, sugar and dairy) and particular attention to spirit, stress and spontaneous healing.

Self-efficacy, what we can do to help ourselves, has always been the priority of this conference, but as new research is published the trends shift and change.  I took pages and pages of notes so now I can read the books written by the speakers that intrigued me the most and sort through the recommendations and observances that seem to most correlate with longevity with metastatic cancers.

My mind is now on overwhelm so I'm glad to be home.  But equally glad that I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails