On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, September 10, 2012

In between treatments

Youngest Grandson will do anything to receive mail.  He participates avidly in POSTCROSSING (click here) so receives cards throughout the week from all over the world.  I got him into that and he loves it!

During Nana's Art Camp this summer I taught him a simple way to make his own post cards.  Because he draws so much it's easy to shrink a drawing to 4"x6" and print it out on photo paper that's the same size.  Then glue a 4"x6" blank file card to the opposite side and presto!, it will make it through the mail.

I don't think he uses these cards for Postcrossing, but he sure uses the technique to keep in touch with me!  The price I pay for this lesson is that I receive postcards from him almost every day and, of course, I have to reciprocate.  I draw every day too so I usually have something suitable to shrink, glue and mail.

But sometimes I cheat, like today, when I completed a drawing from a pack of kid's cards.  On Saturday YG and I are hoping to participate in the monthly Davis sketch crawl on the University of California-Davis campus.  Youngest Daughter is going too.  We'll have our sketchbooks and art supplies and we will draw for four hours with the best of them.  I can't wait!

I hope it works out.  Life feels a bit precarious these days.  In the middle of the night on Thursday/Friday, just before I was to leave for Sacramento, I was quite ill.  I slept in and was able to pull it together to drive - Steve tried to talk me out of going - but when I got to Sacramento I was clearly Sick On Arrival.  I checked into the hotel, fell into bed and slept.  I woke up cold and feverish and a bit panicked because I was alone.  I thought about calling a cab to a branch of our HMO, which was nearby, because I knew I couldn't drive, let alone figure out how to get there.  I took a hot shower, but just pulling on night clothes was a challenge, and I was sobbing, I felt so very awful!!!! I fell asleep again and woke at about 9 pm, washed out and a bit peaked, but definitely on the mend.  (There is a god.)

On Saturday morning, the first day of the conference, I was fine, just not interested in food, but that's not even unusual these days.  From Friday morning to today I lost another three pounds, YES!, although not the right way to do it.

So, the Saturday sketch crawl in Davis is on the calendar, and dang it, it better stay there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails