On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The dog's finger

One of my friends has been involved in training dogs for search and rescue, rehabilitating poorly behaved dogs and several other related concerns.  She reads dogs the way I read newspapers.  Some might call her a dog whisperer and that makes sense to me.

About a year ago this friend happened to tell me that if you give a dog a command and the dog turns its back to you and yawns, that's the same as flipping you the bird.  It was an amusing story at the time, but all year I've been more aware as to how my commands have been being received.

Today it happened.  I was sitting with someone and Demi plopped down at her feet.  I ordered Demi to the cushion where she usually stays.  She didn't move.  "Bed," I was more emphatic.  Demi got up and moved halfway toward the cushion and looked directly at me, a challenge.  Remember, Demi is a certified Skilled Companion and a certified Social Therapy dog.  She has an abundance of skills and knew exactly what I was asking her to do.

"Bed," I said it again.  With obvious reluctance Demi went to her cushion, dropped down with her back toward me.  Then she turned her head, looked at me and yawned, a huge big yawn.  My friend was right, it even felt like I'd just been given the finger.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha. I have had numerous dogs over the years and some definately have more rebel in them than others. My current two USUALLY obey, but I get the half-hearted response way too often also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty - Before I had dogs I didn't realize they are as individual as people are!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails