On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, June 30, 2012

A nation with no postal system?

Youngest Grandson was all flipped out yesterday because he'd read an online article about the United States Postal Service.  I didn't see it, but apparently the gist was that if there wasn't some resolution before September the system will be totally bankrupt.  Resolution could be in the form of including the postal service in the general budget, which makes sense to me, or having it be run by a private contractor.  Cutbacks included having no Saturday service, something that has been bandied about all year, or even cutting out Wednesdays as well (ridiculous!).

This concern was hitting YG where he lives.  He's only 12, but he's an avid participant in postcrossing.com and looks forward to receiving each day's mail.  Furthermore, he mails cards to his mom each midweek day that he stays with us.  And now the ante has been raised.  Because he made and sent me a postcard last week, I promised to reciprocate.  And then it developed that we would begin making and trading postcards one for one throughout the year.  Because it is currently my turn I made this Fourth of July card to drop in the mailbox today so that YG receives it on Monday or Tuesday, depending on how long our wretched service takes in delivering something less than 1-1/2 hours away.

Next week I want to take YG to two of our tiniest post offices - they both missed the cut (so far) - but they are cute and unique to his more urban lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails