On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Sleep or fight?

I was trying to draw in bed which proved to be a lost cause, but since I seem to be hanging out there so much in my queasiness maybe I should just practice and get better at it.  Demi was keeping me company, but this doesn't look like Demi.  That's a straw hat on the bedpost....  I usually begin with pencil - and an eraser - but this evening I went straight to the ink.

I went to Juvenile Hall for an hour this afternoon, but cancelled earlier in the day for the volunteer boys' art group.  I just didn't have the energy to deal with them and came home for a nap instead.  I am glad I showed up for the girls' therapy group, however.  There were nine girls, one who had been on board for 30 weeks and will leave in a few days.  I would have been devastated if I hadn't been able to say goodbye to her.

The girls were great - participating actively and enthusiastic about the art project to showcase the theme of the day.  When staff came in later to recount all my contraband - art materials - I asked if the girls usually continued to be as mellow as they were at group's end or did all heck break loose after I left.  She said they did actually stay calmer, which pleased me no end.  There are a lot of scrappy fighters in that bunch who would just as soon jump an opposing gang member as look at her so anything that helps the girls maintain some sense of equilibrium - or teaches skills as to how to do that - is probably a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for making it into the girls session. Obviously your prescence calms them down and it must feel good to contribute in such a wonderful way. I pray the Lord is with you and helps you with your quesiness and overall health. I will continue to pray for you.
    Hugs and blessings
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails