On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Serving time

I'm keeping busy and that's good, right? It often feels as though I have a lot of time to sit around and do very little, but I was heavily scheduled today and will be even more so tomorrow.

I'm fortunate in that 98% of the work I do, both professionally and as a volunteer in the community, is work that I really enjoy. I can live with the 2% and have the sense to recognize how lucky I am. I hear so many say they hate their jobs or wish they could do something else, sometimes a career path that seems impossible to attain.

I spent the afternoon at Juvenile Hall. The girls were upbeat, but just couldn't stop chit-chatting, and I was taxed to keep a balance between sociability and real group therapy.

The boys' recreational art program was a breeze, but it was just that, recreational art so I felt no pressure to make the time productive. It was, however, and each boy was able to show a page or two added to his art journal, the one piece of property that they own and can take home after they've served their sentence or are transferred to another program. Me? I just kept them company and cartooned my way through the session.

1 comment:

  1. Your job sounds awesome - I always like being with kids EXCEPT when I'm supposed to accomplish something, but just hanging out and letting them work through art sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails