On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Home town tourist

Sometimes getting out and about means walking around town and looking with fresh eyes. Yesterday Steve and I were on Sonoma Plaza, previously the training grounds for General Mariano Vallejo's troops, back when we were living under the flag of Mexico. Well, not "we" exactly, but you know what I mean.

Now the Plaza, one square block, is the heart of the community. We parade around it on the Fourth of July, during the Vintage Festival and other local holidays. The Farmers Market is held on the Plaza every Tuesday from April to November and there are other commemorations such as the Festival of the Arts, the annual Ox Roast in June and various holiday celebrations such as Santa's arrival and the lighting of the Christmas tree.

The duck pond is across from the amphitheater, City Hall and the children's playground. The four sides of the Plaza are ringed by stores and restaurants, the longest running movie theater in northern California and little alleyways that jut off into other hidden shops and historic places. A visitor's center is in the old Carnegie Library near the center of the Plaza. Parking places are hard to find on the Plaza itself and the hotels and businesses are always busy, even at late hours, off season and during less prosperous times, such as now.

And so we set out for lunch at La Boulangerie, a local bakery and sandwich shop, a place frequented by locals as much as by tourists. My only regret is that I don't visit there more often. It's a mile walk to the Plaza and we walk our dogs that distance often in clement weather, but go into the shops much less. But yesterday we played tourist and hobnobbed with the best of them on this rainy October weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails