On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Getting ready for the week

I typically work less than twenty hours a week but I treasure the weekends as though I worked full time and more. On the weekends I read. I putter around my vegetable garden. I catch up on sleep. Sometimes I shock myself by ironing and cleaning.

Last night I finished this book by Elizabeth Berg, one of my most favorite authors. I really enjoy her descriptions, her savoring of tiny, inconsequential moments, the very stuff of life itself.

Ever since I was diagnosed I've believed that I took notice of so much more - and I have - but then I read another novel by this author and all I see is how much I've missed!

Steve and I visited St. John's Episcopal Church in Petaluma, California this morning. Demi was a hit. We were sitting quite near the entrance of the nave so no one could see that I was sketching the backs of heads (again), one of my favorite in church pastimes.

That's Demi in the right bottom corner, of course, sound asleep and being the perfect doggie that she is. No one knew she was there until I took her up to the communion rail and the bishop blessed her. Good Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails