On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Draw, don't blog

I've been drawing up a storm but I keep forgetting to blog about it. Besides, sometimes it sounds, even to me, like so much blah, blah, blah. But here goes.

When I get stuck for ideas I can always zentangle. That's become a great resource because it puts me in drawing mode when I'm stumped. Here's the second one in my Magic Carpet series.



The other way I trick myself into drawing is to regress to familiar territory. This week I drew more cosmos.



And another bunch of lilies.



And, for some reason, I'm fascinated beyond the beyond for this very same cow! I think this is at least the fifth attempt.



When I'm feeling a little bit brave I use how-to-draw books for something I've never tried before. I found a book on how to draw dragons when I was at Juvenile Hall yesterday so I tried that.



When I'm feeling VERY brave I draw my cat. This was the 3rd and best effort so far.



But this morning, sitting outside in the warm sun with no appointments to keep and the day to call my own, I felt grateful. Just grateful. I drew the bunch of fresh organic Nantes carrots that came in a gift box of organic produce given by my daughter. One is missing because I snacked on it last night. Grateful, that's what I felt.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely to see so many of your pages! I especially love the cat drawing. Cats are hard to draw... believe me I know :-) I only even attempt mine when they're sound asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many drawings! :D I love the carrots! They look so real ^^ And the cat's just looking adorable and comfortable. ^^
    Glad that you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the things you do and would take that top Magic Carpet and draw it on the back and front of a sweat shirt---in Black on a beige one if possible..so neat it would be. Just use a permanant marker...would sell like hotcakes. African inspired art has always been a love of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post! I love all the drawings but especially those carrots :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails