On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekend's end

I love the weekends (don't we all?) especially when I know Monday will be a bear. Just as the sun was setting I realized how little I had gotten done today so I scrambled outside to plant seven more tomato plants. I don't know if this will work, but I put six in a 4x4 frame. That may be crowding them, but I'm hoping they'll be happy together. A true Square Foot Gardener would use vine tomatoes in a square foot each, but I hadn't read that far in the book when I started the seeds. Next year!



My most favorite bird is the red-winged blackbird. I won't be able to attract them to our yard because we don't have the watery conditions appropriate for them, but I see them often on a rural route I travel often. There are ponds on the farms, creating a kind of wetlands that they like. I never see them in flocks, but usually as isolates perched on a telephone wire. Sometimes a couple will fly off together. Rarely do I see more than three at once, but I see lots of them as ones. Maybe that's why I like them so much - in addition to their stunning color contrast, they seem to enjoy their own company and appear to be keen observers of their world.



I watched as much of the Notre Dame graduation ceremony as CNN broadcasted. I thought President Obama handled controversy well, not avoiding the current hot abortion issue but heading right into it in search of common ground. Brix was sharing the sofa with me so I drew him while I watched.



And now the weekend is officially over and I need to get myself ready for the week ahead. Have a good one, all of you....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I too love red winged blackbirds. Your drawings are great! Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picture of Brix is ever so adorable and wonderfully done!
    :) What a nice weekend it was!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails