On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Power shield



In our art therapy class this afternoon we finished our "power shields" and told our stories about them. Mine was meant to be a healing mandala so I purposely used images of the human form with atomic power extending out to the periphery. I added symbols for knowledge, courage, dreams, faith and human connections, all set into a field of calming blue. I folded decorative flowers and I made the blue beads at the bottom, then wove the border with raffia. This project was so far from my usual experience that I'm not sure how to think about it and am totally ambivalent -- part of me is mocking my own work as a total waste of time but another part is willing to cling to any visual undertaking that will extend my life.

It definitely is a project I would like to consider for the kids in Juvenile Hall but it takes too long to complete - unless I come up with ways to streamline it for them. Now I need to decide what to do with mine -- at least I know I don't want to trash it, but put it where???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails