On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, December 06, 2007

It's beginning to look like Christmas



Steve decorated the living and dining rooms with white lights, a creche and snowy village scene. It's lovely and makes the house feel like we're really in the midst of the Christmas season, or at least Advent.

This afternoon I taught 15 boys at Juvenile Hall how to do iris folding. I used the traditional method - papers from the backs of bill paying envelopes (which my friends save for me and drop off by the front door). At first the kids found it extraordinarily difficult and then suddenly it all clicked into place and they finished quickly - and proudly. All 15 boys were able to display their projects, bringing a bare wall to life. Next week we will use the same technique with nicer papers and finishing touches to make Christmas cards they can mail home. I'll be making some prototypes in the coming week.

I used to avoid bringing in ideas that had been used recently. But later I learned that repetition brings confidence and confidence builds self esteem. So now I teach a technique and then quickly, before they have time to forget it, I find ways they can use the new skill in more colorful ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails