On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

One great read



I just finished the last of John Updike's Rabbit tetralogy and enjoyed it immensely. Along the way I recalled how I read the first volume, RABBIT, RUN back in the '60s and then reread it some years later. I always intended to read the second and third novels of the series and realize now that I could have and would have enjoyed looking forward to each of them. Each of the four books came out every ten years or so beginning in 1960 with this last one published in 1990. I wish now that I had read each one when it first came out in hardback because Rabbit is one of my favorite characters in literature. It isn't that he is so remarkable -- quite the opposite -- he's more like a mixed up Everyman and I've always like him. So, 17 years after publication, I've finally put Rabbit to rest myself -- although there's every hope that eventually I'll reverse and read volumes two and three in whatever order.

1 comment:

  1. i remember the movie, but never read the books.

    we have three dog night, water for elephants and danny gregory in common!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails