On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Still here

I would have written much sooner but I couldn't remember anything -- my user name, my password -- and I was punching in all the possible combinations with no luck. My brain is full of chemicals. I've been on chemo for almost 5 years with no break. It's working in the sense that I'm still alive and have very much outlived my original prognosis but it messes with my memory and ability to recall. One reason I want to blog is to help me stimulate my brain and the recall of words. I'm also studying Spanish (3rd semester) and taking a college course called The History of Mexico. It used to be that when I signed up for a class it was because I wanted to learn the material and perhaps even had some use for it. Now I take classes primarily so that my brain will maintain its plasticity and I will have something approaching normal function. I worry a lot about my brain. I worry a lot about my heart -- I was in heart failure a year or so ago. I don't worry much about the cancer. Life's little ironies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails