On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Getting started

I'm new at this. My biggest concern is privacy, ironic if I'm posting to the universe. I want to do the public writing but I don't want anyone to know who I am. Surely I'm not the only one with this stance.

I've been living with cancer for about five years. My original prognosis -- which I was unaware of at the time -- was just a few months so obviously I've done very well. I attribute it to good science, good treatment because most of the time I've done everything wrong. I've gained weight, I skimp on veggies, I don't get out there and walk nearly often enough. And yet I'm alive and each day is a surprise and a treat.

These days my life is quite simple. I am married and care for a disabled adult daughter. I work a few hours each week, I raise puppies for the disabled, I take classes at our local community college and I watch far too much television. I have a NetFlix subscription which I enjoy and I read at least a little every day. I keep up with the news. My favorite game is Scrabble which I'm trying to improve. I tend to my tomato plants -- and the red geraniums. It's a simple life and I treasure it because I didn't expect to see the last four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails