On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Lucky me!

One of my readers knew I was scanning for a walker, the kind that has a seat for when you get tired.  She just happened to have one looking for a home so, guess what! the search is over and I walked around the block this evening.  The problem is that I desperately need the pain patches and they make me wobbly - the directions even predict such a reaction. I expect to take them the rest of my life because the pain isn't the kind that goes away quickly, if at all.  So, which is it - wobbly with the danger of falling or a life long commitment to a walker for stability?

The one problem is that this one doesn't fold so I may eventually trade for foldability, but it isn't a problem yet and the truth is, I was out and walking for the first time in weeks and I'm incredibly grateful for that. I can even go outside alone - without clinging to Steve's arm - so I truly have no excuse for missing daily walks now, even it they're short ones.  I want to decorate it with storage space and any other appropriate gewgaws that make it even more functional. The dogs will appreciate it too because now they will get a third walk (or more) in during the day.  As it is, Steve walks them twice - totals three miles a day, the reason he is so slender - but now I can add to the mileage.

This morning's weigh-in (for me) was 135, just twelve pounds over my wedding weight (at age 20) the lowest I've been in almost 50 years.  If I keep walking I hope to maintain it.  I still have very little appetite but crave an infinite amount of milk, whatever that means - no bones????

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails