On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Lovely Sunday

Steve and I walked two dogs around Sonoma Plaza this evening and poked around inside a couple shops just like tourists.  I don't cook - that's for Steve - but my most favorite store is Sign of the Bear, a culinary speciality place.  I could pick up and put down for hours, that's how much I love that place! (And they are dog-friendly or I wouldn't be in there.)

The walking wore me out, but remember, I'm developing a daily walking program, so it was a good thing.  The stitches were removed before I left the hospital so I'm really working on keeping myself well-hydrated.  I look like I lost 100 pounds but gained 100 years - that's how important fluids are.  Hopefully, as I drink more water I'll lose some years.  Seriously, I'm looking quite ancient these days and really have to work on it, adding more fluids, I mean.

We did make it to church again this morning.  I am absolutely determined to become a member of the spiritual community here in town, and it is going more easily than I anticipated.  The most difficult part was deciding which church to join, but it the end that became a no-brainer.  Of course I would end up where Steve left off, it's just so sad to see how two of his successors have gutted the place in short order and then took off leaving hurt feelings in their place.  The folks I admire most are the ones who stuck it out and just kept coming week after week.  I'm disappointed in the ones who joined other congregations - but I can't complain too loudly since I just disappeared totally and didn't show up anywhere.  Clergy have so much power and it's power that is so very easy to misuse.  It's the narcissism that is so hurtful, truly, truly hurtful.

1 comment:

  1. Taking walks, going to Church and even to a movie! Sounds like you are doing very well on working towards recovery of body and spirit. I am slowly making my way through Falling Upwards by Fr. Richard Rohr. It's a book about spirituality in our later years. You just might enjoy that one. If you do read it let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails