On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Daily life

So surgeon #5 came by today; they're the ones that get me stirred up.  This one said I am likely to have a recurrence of the obstruction, that between the cancer and the radiation I am a poor surgical candidate, that my diet will be significantly changed.  Basically, after years of teaching my family some healthy eating practices it is all reversed for me.  I need a low fiber diet.  White bread, not 100% whole wheat.  White rice, not brown. He said a chef's salad would be a poor choice for me. I need everything to be soft and pureed, well cooked, well chewed, etc.  So he left and I was back in tears, sort of the way it's been going every day after a surgeon comes to give me bad or worse news.

This is Day #10 but there are little hints that I might be going home soon.  I'm still on a clear liquid diet - but there are only five parts to that:  broth, jello, tea, popsicle and juice.  So far, I haven't been nauseous, a good sign.  When I get to the soft foods there will be an infinite number of options, but everyone is advising me to take it very slowly and stay on liquids a bit longer.

Steve comes over for several hours each day; Demi accompanies him. She jumps on the bed to cuddle next to me, then falls asleep.  Later the three of us walk the halls for 30 minutes, then take back our places where she settles into her next doggy nap.

I'm about the most upbeat person I know, but this thing has really turned me bleak.  They've been sending in the social workers, two so far, which I appreciate because I can play the angry victim and get it out of my system for a few hours.

(Until another surgeon stops by.)

3 comments:

  1. Oh hon, I'm so sorry... Drs can be such 'pricks' but... white bread isn't so bad... really, yeast rolls are soft and white... and so yummy. That's what Krispy Creme donuts are made from yeast dough... I haven't been able to eat a donut for about 20 years now... still makes my mouth water to THINK about one... but I can't and that's that... Yell at the social workers, cry, get mad... and then accept it... and find a way to cope... you can do it...
    I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails