On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

It's Christmas again?

By now you know that I never go for more than two days without updating unless I am traveling - in which I tell you in advance - or I'm locked up in jail or hospital.  This time it was the latter.

I went through the emergency room again on Sunday night, was admitted and released today.  It appears that I will be dealing with the side effects of radiation for quite a long time.  The advantage to being in the hospital is that I can be on a morphine drip and suddenly, pain is gone.  It's a little harder to manage at home - narcotics have side effects of their own - but I'm learning.

Thank God I have Steve as my personal nurse.  He has had to deal with situations he never even read about.  This time I was completely discharged yesterday afternoon - and then started upchucking with a pain number off the charts so the discharge was cancelled and a new IV put in place.  Today I was given the option to stay and chose to go home.  I upchucked on the way home, I swear, there are five year olds with more staying capacity in a car than I have.

If Steve didn't have Christmas music playing and cookies baking (with Youngest Daughter), I'd think it was July.  That's when everything sort of fell apart - last August - and I've lost most of the year.  In the hospital I actually used the little poster, "Today is Wednesday, December 20, 2012" to stay oriented.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:43 PM

    I am glad you are home. I started worrying about you on Tuesday, when you did not post. I hope you are adjusting and feeling better. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know I am a complete stranger, but I so wish there was something I could do to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to Steve and to you too, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails