On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Time for a change

Decades ago it would set the congregation chattering if I didn't turn up in church - because I was always there.  Now it's the opposite.  If I do show up, as I did this morning, folks take notice.  How arrrrrrrrrrre you?, they ask, as though I drifted over from some graveyard to enjoy their company.  Then they focus on Demi, because she's a lot easier as a conversation ice-breaker.

I got to church today, but I was feeling like the invalid.  I didn't stand for hymns or anything else and, when I started being wobbly at the coffee hour I just left to get back to my bed.  My energy level is quite low, but better than it was.  Finally the pain is under control.

Lying around so much has given me time to think and ponder. I want a career change, I really do.  By January 1st I want to be set up on Etsy.com with a shop of my own.  I want to paint 100 giraffes on 4x4 acrylic panels, I want to master the old art of redwork embroidery, I want to knit prayer shawls and paint comic faces in 3x3 or 2x2 acrylic panels.  I can do all that at the kitchen table, my studio.  I want to take it seriously enough that I add pieces each week so there's always something new to look at.  It will, of course, have to be my very best work, not my messing-around stuff that I add to my blog.  It will take me forever just to set up shop, but once I get that done I can work steadily.

I will enjoy this.  I am bored.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:53 PM

    Big thumbs up, Barb...great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a great idea. I was just looking at an etsy shop today - RuralPearl I think. It was all papercutting art. I kept thinking I would much rather do that than work! However, I still need to work at a 8-5 job. Maybe in 5-10 years for me. I wish you the best - go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails