On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, November 16, 2012

The Ensure generation

I often hear comments about HMOs being factory operations, but I would never say that about ours.  For one thing, I'm still alive with Stage 4 breast cancer after almost eleven years - the docs must have done something right.

But today I have another reason.  Because I haven't been feeling well this week I had a telephone appointment with my primary care physician this afternoon.  She sent Steve to the supermarket for sports drinks, fruit popsicles, 7-Up and other basic rehydration supplies.  For some reason, when I'm not at my best, I forget every self-help skill I've ever learned and act pitifully helpless.  Of course I know I need to push fluids, especially those with potassium, when I'm dehydrated, but I was acting as though I had no clue, just languishing instead.

"I'll call you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?  It's Saturday!"

"But you aren't feeling well today."

How's that for concern and service?  Not factory at all, right?

The rain began at bedtime last evening and continued throughout the night and off and on during the day.  It's raining again now, one of those long, slow drenchers that reaches to the bottom of the earth.  Hopefully it will even wet down the daffodil bulbs I planted a few days ago and wake them up to thinking about blooming in February, the height of daffodil season in these parts.

And, by then, I should be feeling just great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails