On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Rain, rain, rain

I so enjoyed the kids in Juvenile Hall today.  Instead of the usual sketchbook work in the boys' recreational art group I brought in pre-made masks and a new set of acrylic paints.  With Halloween so close I thought they might enjoy painting masks.  They jumped all over it! Acrylic paint is a new medium for most of them so I did a few short demos on how to mix paint with a palette knife, how to distinguish between tints, shades and tones, how the paint dries, how to take care of the brushes, etc. Only one boy finished his mask so the rest of us will be working on the same project again next Monday.  I'm giving canvas panels to anyone who is ready to move on so we'll all have plenty to do.

Even more exciting than that, today was the first series of storms for the new rainy season.  I heard a few sprinkles late last night; an hour later it was a true deluge which stopped and started all the way to dawn.  Another storm came through later in the day and more rain is forecasted both this week and next week.  Here in northern California that means The Rainy Season Is Here!  And it's my favorite season of the entire year. There hasn't been a single drop of rain since May so we're dried out and ready.  At least I am!

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous fun project you did with the kids. I am sure they all loved it!
    Hugs and blessings
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails