On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mini-staycation

I swear I have an off-on switch depending on how I feel.  On good days I have energy and want to do things, on days where pain or nausea rule I don't want to leave my bed.

So last night I was saying to Steve, Do you have any interest in going to the coast tomorrow and maybe having clam chowder at The Tides?  Oh, yes, he thought that was a great idea.

We had a great time.  We left at 10:00 exactly and were in a Bodega Bay parking lot 65 minutes later.  Why we do this once every five years or so is beyond me, it is so close and so easy.  Besides the clam chowder, I also wanted to buy a large seashell that I could practice drawing.  And I wanted to take some photos to mark the day.

Because it was a tad early for lunch we went to the gift shop and chose our seashells and postcards first.  I squooshed two pennies for Youngest Daughter's squooshed penny collection and brought her a stack of postcards for postcrossing.com.  (She was at her day program and actually never knew we were away.)

Lunch was wonderful.  We were indoors, but seated at a table hovering over the water.  Sea lions were swimming past us while we ate.  And then we went outside where several seagulls were only too happy to pose for photos.  I figured this guy would bite off my finger if I touched him - so I didn't - but I was actually standing so close to him we could have had our picture taken together.  Eventually his wife came by and then they flew off together.

And we were home an hour later and I even got in some work time.  Today the switch is ON!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds lovely--I'm glad you seized the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm glad I did too and wish I would more often!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails