On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, September 21, 2012

Tables and more

The radiation oncologist called late yesterday.  There were no surprises on the PET scan - just this spot and that one and the other one and something on the bone - but he said it was all expected and that I still had reason for hope.  Radiation treatment will begin Monday and proceed for 15 consecutive weekdays.  After a month I should notice some improvement in the pain and the most prominent tumor should be shrunken.  So he says.

When we moved into our present home almost two decades ago, we shopped for a new kitchen table and put the family antique - the one where Steve did his homework as a school boy - in the dining room.  It soon became obvious that the kitchen table attracted clutter and the dining room was where we shared our meals.

About a year ago I set up a small table in the living room so I could hone my drawing skills.  It didn't work out.  I loved the idea of the spot - right there by a window (good light) where I could watch the birds playing in the bushes.  But I rarely sat there to draw.

When we had the new living room flooring installed I surrendered my barely used art table in favor of a long plant table and that is working out well.  But I still needed a place to do my homework.

By now you've figured out where this is going.  With some consultation I co-opted the kitchen table and called it my studio.  I spent all day yesterday right there.  When Steve was cooking, we kept each other company.  When he was out running errands I had CNN - across from me in the family room - to catch me up with world news.  It was one of the most productive days I've had in September.

So, the decision has been made.  I can leave things set up on the kitchen table because no one else is waiting to use it - and, I swear, half of painting time is all about set up.  The dining room table is always clear and ready for meals.

My new plan is to paint every day.  My schedule is quite light these days and rather precarious at best, so committing to move myself from the bedroom to the kitchen table is mostly realistic.  That's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails