On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, September 24, 2012

One down, fourteen to go

I began radiation treatment this afternoon and now I really feel like a cancer patient.  Ten years ago I had two brief stints of radiation, but both were purely palliative - pain relief - and this time it's for treatment.  Everyone was nice and so considerate, this is something I can do.

In and around treatments and weirdness, I'm trying to live a "normal" life, or what passes for normal nowadays.  On Saturday I attended a library lecture offered by an Abraham Lincoln expert.

I grew up in Illinois so Land of Lincoln thinking still comes more readily to me than General Vallejo, Bear Flag history and such.  On the other hand, they do connect.  There is evidence of some correspondence between General Vallejo and President Lincoln, both leaders within their own spheres.

Saturday's lecture reminded me of how much I like to draw fellow listeners in various venues.  Yesterday, for no reason I can fathom, I photocopied all the drawings I've made in church in the recent past.  I completely filled one album and have many more besides.  The total was something approaching 100.  I don't know which surprised me more - that I had actually been in church that often or that I had drawn that much while I was there.  Seeing the collection all in one place, rather than scattered now and then in sketchbooks here and there, only made me want to attend church often and draw even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails