On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Glass simplicity

Standing stones
University of California - Davis
Last week I got it in my head that all our kitchen glasses were old, grungy and mismatched and I couldn't stand it any more.  It was just one of those things that was bugging me every time I got myself a simple glass of water.

I looked all over Sonoma for glassware but found nothing.  Oh, there was some really fancy stuff for entertaining and having folks over for dinner, but nothing for everyday.  What I did find was plastic and I wasn't about to settle for plastic. I was dismayed, that's one annoyance about living in a tourist town - too much of what is sold is catering to the needs of tourists and not those of us who live here.  I mean, I tried five shops before I gave up.

So on Friday, when we were going to Santa Rosa anyway for the PET scan, we scheduled ourselves so we could stop by JCPenney's and Macy's and find something worthy.  In the end, Macy's won.  It was one of those amazing things.  With the coupon the salesclerk gave us the total for a set of 16 matching glasses was only $20.  Why, I am asking myself, were we muddling by with something we hated when it was such a simple and inexpensive project to replace?  Everything was pitched into the garbage, done, not even good enough to recycle in a thrift shop.

I was thinking about that while I was drinking orange juice today - in a brand new shiny short glass.  There are eight of those and eight that are taller.  They are smoky gray, pleasant to hold.  You know, one of those really simple pleasures that somehow we let get away from us.  Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails