On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Books, books and more books


Steve screwed together two more bookcases from Target this afternoon which brings the total to thirteen and still not every book has a home.  We hoard books, that's all I can say.  Both of us do, but I'm probably the bigger culprit.

Last year I developed the habit of choosing one book, just one book, to re-home each day.  One hundred days into the project, it was getting easier to part with old friends, that's what it felt like, but then I got sick and the practice fell apart.

Now that we're in a Getting Things Done mode we're trying to give a place to all that we own - and getting rid of the excess along the way.  I'm bagging up clothing too and buying new duds for a change.  (I frankly like my longer, leaner look and hope to continue this for a while.  Never do I want to regain.)

So, that's how today went.  Books, books, books.  I dust shelves of books fairly often throughout the year.  We leave windows open whenever we can and then again, there are those three dogs.  There's something therapeutic about dusting books.  I usually find several that I'd forgotten about and tend to go on a mini reading rage for the next couple weeks.

But never, under no circumstances, will I ever be able to read all the books we presently own.  Not if I lived one hundred more years.  I don't know why that concept is so difficult for me to grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails