On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, July 07, 2012

High school level

I finally finished reading Oliver Twist.  The only Dickens book I've read in its entirety is The Christmas Carol.  In high school we read the first fifteen chapters of David Copperfield, but I was not inspired to complete the book.

I have a vague memory of reading a chapter or so of Oliver Twist.  I don't recall the details, but I do remember the cocky adolescent character, Charlie Bates.  A fellow freshman, Russell Appleton (I wonder how he ended up) laughed himself silly when our instructor read to us about Master Bates.  Innocent that I was, I had no idea of the joke - and, since most of the room was quiet, I don't think I was alone.

And so now, in my dotage when I can do anything I want - I don't want to do much - I finally read the whole book on my Kindle (modern dotage).  Cross that off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails