On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Arthur

I was thinking about the kids at Juvenile Hall and how woefully deficient they are in their education, including current events.  For example, many of the kids I see - probably the majority - are Mexican-American.  Many were born in the United States and are citizens.  Some are here illegally.

The new immigration law would affect those who were brought to this country as small children, but I doubt that the kids understand the law.  I'm even having trouble with it.

After I get home I want to e-mail my congressperson to clarify one specific portion of the law.  I know that it affects  undocumented immigrants under age 30 who have no criminal record.  What would that mean for the kids I see who are locked up because they did something against the law?  Usually misdemeanors disappear at age 18, but after that point a misdemeanor would show up on a permanent record.  In the case of the new immigration law, are the kids equally protected or have they already blown their chances to avoid deportation?

I need to clarify this for myself.  And, if the kids are no longer apt to be deported - even though they are sitting in Juvenile Hall today - I would like for them to know that so they can curb their behavior in the future.  It's one more incentive that may be effective for some of the kids I see.  Some truly want to change their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails