On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Art camp redux

Nana's Art Camp reopened this afternoon after we walked Parisse to our dog-friendly art supply store a few blocks away.  Last week I tried to show Youngest Grandson how to work with white Prismacolor on black paper, but the paper was for pastels and was coated to reject colored pencils.  Now we have charcoal paper which accepts both white and color very well.  I began a mandala which will take all week to finish.

Before I began my project I taught YG how to carve rubber stamps.  The technical parts can be taught in one sitting - how to carve away from yourself for safety, how to test for "chatter" (the little lines that need to be removed), how to clean and care for a stamp, how to work in reverse for asymmetrical designs.  He carved his three initials and finished the last one quickly. I think that's all you need to know for stamp carving, everything else is some variation of the skills he already has.  Now he can carve anything he can draw or glue to a blank stamp.  The final step, of course, was to stamp up a postcard to mail to Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails