On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Out amongst them

There's nothing so cozy as driving through the rain with the heater and music on and a dog asleep in the back seat.  I saw one red-shouldered hawk on a telephone wire and a dozen turkey vultures weighing down a tree.  Nobody seemed to be concerned about the rain.

The county was putting on its annual volunteer recognition event - you know, speeches, good food, door prizes and awards.  The art program I offer for the maximum security boys at Juvenile Hall is a volunteer project and so is monitoring the parks, although that one has fallen by the side in the last several months.  But now that I'm starting a walking program I expect to be out there regularly, with a dog or two.  The three largest contingents were the folks who volunteer in the jails, parks and the county animal shelter.

I brought Demi with me because she spends as much time in Juvenile Hall as I do.  That makes her a county volunteer.  I should have filled out a slip for the prize drawing for her.  She might have won something she would really enjoy, a session at Massage Envy or even a manicure.  At home we call it playing beauty shop.  Demi loves to have her nails trimmed, her coat and teeth brushed and even a bath.

It was good to sit with friends and act like a normal person once more.

2 comments:

  1. You sound more upbeat than you have in a long time. Hope that's because of how much better you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails