On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Chemotherapy #8 (of 8 - DONE!

Today was my final infusion of Taxotere.  I won't be back until late July for a bone strengthener drug that is also infused, but since it has no side effects I have no problem with that.  In 21 days I'll be completely through this cycle and officially "out."  Between now and that July appointment I have eight other injections, blood draws, a CT scan (without contrast dye!) and an oncology appointment, but nothing will be infused.  It's a small taste of freedom and a big taste of hope.

There was a new nurse working with me today.  I saw her in the chemotherapy suite a few weeks ago - when she was being a chemotherapy patient herself.  We have the same kind of breast cancer - lobular, the 10% kind - and, since neither of us was wearing a hat today, we both have the same 1/2 inch sprout.  I was amazed that she's working 21 hours a week, "Some days are harder than others" and we both agreed the fatigue is often overwhelming.  Yesterday she slept all day - sound familiar?  She's much younger than I am - that's my excuse for my inability to work as much as she does - but it made the morning pass so much faster by having someone who really, really, knows what it's like.

Even better, I walked one mile with Steve and three dogs this evening.  I'll crash in a couple days, but today it was 80º F and felt like a summer night when we went out.  In addition to all the reasons we know walking is good - cardiovascular health, raises seratonin levels, helps control weight, etc. - another reason which is suddenly important to me is that it reduces glucose levels too.

I'm finally on board - something of a zealot these days - but on board.

1 comment:

  1. Although you still have quite a line-up ahead I bet it did feel good to be at the tail end of something. Empathy is always better than sympathy and I guess that's what you and the nurse were able to trade.

    I didn't know walking was good for glucose levels but I just heard getting a good night's sleep is! That's something I don't get but I will work on it with diabetes type II running in my family. If only I could see poppy fields or something besides what I see sitting on my porch when I take a walk. That would help me put the feet out on the path. You are doing better than me on that score for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails