On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, February 06, 2012

A one-hawk day

Number One son watches whales when he isn't watching parrots.  I am beside myself with envy.

I always count the wildlife when I travel Rte. 12 through the vineyards.  After the disaster at the nearby lab two weeks ago I drove the extra miles today to Santa Rosa for the pre-chemo blood draw.  The deer were hiding but the turkey vultures were soaring in their graceful glides.  One red-shouldered hawk was proudly sitting on a telephone wire, probably watching for field mice or some such.

It's a large medical center.  There were a few people ahead of me but this lab gives preferential treatment to those in chemotherapy.  All five tubes were drawn in less time than I was registered two weeks ago.  And I didn't feel a thing.

Afterwards I backtracked to Juvenile Hall.  The girls were great, but the boys had been in a major rumble yesterday so they were locked down. One of the program directors met me at the door to say the art program had to be cancelled.  No problem for me, it happens periodically - especially on that maximum security unit - but it's distressing to hear about gang fighting.  I don't know if any of the honors group were involved.  I so hope not!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to be able to watch parrots and whales...I do get to occasionally see whales, we have belugas that can sometimes be seen in Turnagain Arm. But no parrots, although we have puffins. Those are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a crow sitting on the boulders in our goat pen today. Also saw a couple of cows out in the distance. That's it for nature specials for me today!

    Glad this blood draw went so much better. Hopefully the chemo session will go great too.

    Did you get your rain? We didn't - ours fizzled on us so all we got was a cloudy day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails