On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, January 07, 2012

The written word

It was a quiet, breezy and amazingly warm day here today.  I was catching up on household tasks and mostly curled up and reading.  There are so many books I want to read!  I wish publishers would just stop the presses for a decade or two so I could catch up.

Speaking of which, we had two independent bookstores in our community until just a few months ago when one closed.  People read here and book groups are popular so the loss isn't about disinterest, it's about folks who shop online or have shifted to e-readers.  I'm guilty of both.

It's frustrating.  I love good bookstores - and the one that remains is a good one - but the difference in cost from full price to e-reader is significant.  I certainly don't see any reversal in that trend, do you?

1 comment:

  1. I agree - it's the future, but it is sad. I love my hardbound books sitting on the shelf. I wonder if people will miss that once they all go to e-books. My book sells best on Amazon as a kindle though so I can't complain.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails