On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, January 16, 2012

Nana on steroids

It was even colder today and the night forecast is 25º F.  But rain is still in the forecast for Wednesday or Thursday and will be off and on for an entire week. I will be so very happy!

Tomorrow is chemotherapy which means that for three consecutive nights I won't sleep.  Today I am totally revved up - taking a steroid to mitigate the side effects of Taxotere - and can totally tell the difference.  I haven't had this much energy since the same three days of the last cycle.  I talk faster, walk faster, laugh more, sleep less (sleep much less) and generally drive myself crazy until Thursday when I will crash.

I had to miss my work in Juvenile Hall last week because I was dealing with that fever issue, but this afternoon I was back.  Both groups were full - one over the limit - so maybe they missed me!

Four of the five boys in the art group were new - I didn't get to say goodbye to the ones who left - so it was almost a fresh start.  For maximum security dudes their behavior was perfect and they seemed happy to be doing something they enjoy - recreational drawing with an abundance of supplies and their own art journals - and the time went quickly.

Because it's an honors group they get dessert as a perk.  Tonight the program staff brought in a chocolate cream pie with milk and enormous chocolate chip cookies on the side.  I reminded them to keep it together during the week - no fighting! - so they don't lose their status or their treats.

One can only hope.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails