On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Backwards in time

We celebrated our 47th anniversary today.  It was officially yesterday, but yesterday was too chaotic.  While I would have loved to have gone out for a fancy, special dinner, that truly would have been lost on me.  Fifty percent of food tastes metallic and briny and 40% I just push away.  The remaining 10% is mostly soup.  I love soup, enjoy it all year, and for some reason it doesn't seem as weird-tasting as plated food. That makes no sense, but so be it.  So we chose our favorite Thai restaurant and enjoyed a quiet lunch.  The won-ton soup was perfect and so were my samples of satay chicken and cucumber salad.

After lunch we played tourist and walked around the Plaza picking up and putting down in all the shops.  My favorite was a throwback to the 1950s and featured all the games I played back then - Tiddly Winks, for example - and also all the treats of my childhood - Sugar Daddys, Walnettos, Teaberry gum, Bonomo taffy and Necco Wafers.

But what really caught my attention was the box of Smith Brothers cough drops.  The two brothers used to be facing each other on opposite sides of the box.  Under the left brother's image was the word Trade and under the right image was Mark.  As a seven-year-old I pondered and pondered that.  I could understand a name like Mark, but why would a mother name her kid Trade?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails