On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Friday, December 09, 2011

Today's read


RoomRoom by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

OMG!  This was such a stunning book to read!  It happens in real life that mothers and children are imprisoned for years and some - think Jacey Dugard - have written memoirs about their experiences.  ROOM is fiction, the story is narrated by a small boy in small boy language and imagery.  It was, in fact, the little boy speak that made it a tad difficult to get started, but that was only for a chapter or so.  Then I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.  This is a story that reads true because of the author's attention to the smallest details and her understanding for how trauma impacts the victim.  It was definitely one of the top five books I read in 2011.


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails