On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

What you want to read next

 I just finished reading this book five minutes ago and I obviously can't wait to tell you about it.  It begins almost as a lark, can the father read to his eight-year-old daughter for 100 nights without skipping?  And then it's 1,000 days and that gets extended from age eight until the day she went away to college.

Imagine the depth of a father-daughter relationship where books are savored on a daily basis, where they are discussed and shared.  Anyone who knows how difficult it is to maintain any kind of speaking relationship with a teenager can appreciate the quality of having a father's influence throughout her adolescence.

And then the story morphs into something deeper.  What does reading mean to any youngster?  What is lost if the schools decide to yank out the school libraries and ban teachers from reading aloud to the students?  I'm getting close to spoiling the book for you and I don't want to do that.  So.... get it and read it for yourself.  This is a true read , memoir at its best, with all the fun to the (almost) heartbreaking ending.  Great stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails