On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Grow, dang it, grow!

I live on adobe clay soil.  Entire homes in this community have been made of adobe bricks for almost 200 years and some are still standing.  It would take truckloads of rich, black dirt to thin the clay into loam.

Surprisingly, there are flowers everywhere - everywhere but my front yard that is.  Containers, yes, but that's dirt that comes in plastic bags and is rich and balanced and would grow anything.  But the soil around the base of the rural mailbox standing at the corner of our property, well, not so much.

Still and all, I planted it and watered it, planted some more, thinned out the daisies a friend gave me and kept planting.  Today I added dwarf sunflower seeds.  Something is going to grow there this summer and eventually that little section will fill itself in with California poppies, red salvia, the daisies, alyssum and portulaca and those cute little sunflowers.  One of these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails