On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Saturday, April 09, 2011

From my bed

About a week ago Steve was very ill with "it's just a cold." I usually avoid germs right inside my own home, rarely catch his colds or those brought home by Youngest Daughter.

This one was different. Thursday night, scratchy throat. Friday, near death. I slept all day yesterday and most of today. I finally got up, walked around the house a little, heated a cup of bouillon and went back to bed.

Productivity was not my highest priority, but I did manage to get one thing done. Thanks to laptops and an e-mailed universe, I was able to compose a press release for two local newspapers to drum up interest in the 31st International SketchCrawl on Saturday, April 16th. Sonoma, California has never participated, but we have historic buildings dating back to the late 1700s, we have the largest Plaza in northern California, the oldest theater in continuous use, a duck pond on the Plaza (which is ringed by shops, an old city hall and a Carnegie library - now the visitor's center). Tourists throng the area and dogs walk the periphery with their protectors. There are huge trees, plants, a rose garden and two playgrounds.

This is all on one square block in the heart of our community and it's all just begging to be sketched. So, I'm hoping at least 10 people will want to draw with me and I'm doing my part to get the word out. SketchCrawls can be as frequent as we choose, but the international events are held three or four times a year. I'd like Sonoma to participate in those - and then I'll be free to join other groups the rest of the months. Doesn't that sound like fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails