On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Peace and quiet

I was the docent on duty yesterday at General Mariano Vallejo's home (we're back in the 1850s here) and had a moment to climb the hill to his son's little retreat.

I envy Napoleon some days. He was an artist with a menagerie and lived in this teeny-tiny (think smaller than that) little space. There's room for a skinny pallet in the front part and storage for not much more in the back. I've never figured out where all those animals were kept unless they were outside where he could keep an eye on them. I've never even understood where he kept his art supplies since mine alone would fill up his space.

The Vallejos must have been into solitude. In addition to Napoleon's hideaway, there's another small getaway place on the property. And the home is away from almost everything even now (it's California State Park land) so must have been way far out in the boonies back then. That's the part I envy, all that space and quiet and time alone.

Fortunately, I never have to explain this to tourists. I just point up the hill, tell him what the structure is and move on. A few venture up to get a closer view, but no one has ever asked me what I would like to know.

3 comments:

  1. Lol, yes I can bet you'd wait forever before someone would ask you what you want when you are the tour giver! You are supposed to know it all but have no opinion. I don't know quite how tiny this house is but some people are living in them today. I've even been dreaming about it. You can see some of them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Timaree - I've also been fascinated by the tiny homes movement. What's really cool about those is that if they are on wheels (some are) they are legislated like a motor home, not subject to building codes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about living in one in southern California where there are so many wild fires. Just think if an evacuation is called and you just unhook from utilities and drive it off to safety!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails