On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

It's over, thank God!

It's over, finally the midterm election season is over. It was awful! The ads, the mean spiritedness, the accusations, so much nonsense!

Having said that, I got most of what I wanted. My biggest disappointment was that Proposition 21 here in California, an initiative to keep our state parks open on a full schedule, failed. There have already been staffing reductions so the parks are open fewer hours but now it will be even worse. I spend so much time in public parks! Voters didn't want an extra $18 tacked on to their vehicle tax (that part I can understand), but California license plates would have gotten into the parks for free (why pass up a bargain like that?) and would have saved money for many of us. Furthermore, going to a public park is one of the most economical fun things folks can do! I worry about the new bunch of jobs that will be lost -- the park rangers and the maintenance folks -- and I fear the disrepair that California parks will fall into. Really, I think voting this one down was a big mistake.

2 comments:

  1. I love the drawings, could just eat one of these sweets. I can't believe you have to pay to go into a park that doesn't seem right, they are great places to take children and spend time in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, coming from Illinois where there were free parks it came as a jolt to find fees in California. It's usually about $5. City parks are still free. But state and county parks charge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails