On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Monday, June 21, 2010

'Twas the solstice

I know this photo is blurry - sorry - but it's one of my favs because it shows how the chicks have bent down a branch and turned it into a roost and a swing! They are very resourceful, those girls, they know how to knuckle down to business and how to play.

They are also escape artists, but I think it's inadvertent. We keep sealing up gaps to keep them in, but they wander around, fly up to the fence, then flutter off on the wrong side (even though there's a net) and are greatly distressed because they can't find their way back to be with their friends. That's another of their strengths - a strong sense of community. You gotta respect them for that.

I've also noticed that chickens don't like change. Whenever I tidy their digs or move their portable baby coop, they discuss it for some time before they settle down with the novelty. We really have to get the run built on the larger coop so they'll have some permanence and less distress.

Today was the solstice. Here in northern California the weather was as good as it gets. It was 80º-84ºF all over the area and with a little breeze. Steve and I lunched on our own deck and walked after supper. Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. ...the girls are so cute! I'd love to have a chickens. Good luck with your walking goal you mentioned in your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice story! happy summer solstice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails