On 01.02.02, I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. Too late for surgery, I had chemotherapy, which failed. In May the chemotherapy was changed and I was soon in remission which was celebrated and welcome and lasted nine years - until October 2011. There was progression in 2011 so more treatment was indicated and I am now back in partial remission. But I'm not only a cancer patient - I also enjoy my family, walk my dogs and am learning to draw and paint. Life is good!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Out amongst them


I've been a bit remiss in my park monitoring duties for Sonoma County Regional Parks. But this morning I walked Brix over (did you get that? I WALKED Brix over TO Maxwell Park) and then we tromped around it and returned home. OK, the total was only about 2.5 miles, but I'm old and that seemed like a nice hour and enough for me. Brix was calm for the entire day, walking does that to dogs.

And then, to my own surprise, I walked eight more blocks this evening. Steve and I stopped in at the Tuesday evening Farmers' Market, a lively event that is almost always well attended. I ate the first corn dog of my life -- somehow I had missed out on that bit of Americana -- instead of the ethnic culinary options available. We are so, so lucky to have so much variety here in Wine Country. The scene was full of energy, enough to carry me all around the Plaza two times, that was the eight blocks.

A long-ago acquaintance of mine, I mean maybe from 30 years ago, was reading from her latest book at one of our independent books stores. It was great to see her again, have her sign my copy and know that now I can settle in to a delicious read. The book: THIS IS GETTING OLD, by Susan Moon, is subtitled, Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity. I'm already recommending it. It's freshly off the presses...

2 comments:

  1. Hehehe...glad to read the explanation of "this is getting old"...thought at first you were captioning the drawing that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, sometimes I feel that way about my drawings too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails